Monday, 27 April 2015

Edelstoff 07 experience: 4 things you might not realise as a visitor at a design market

We were so lucky to get a stall next to a wall, wooohoo!
T-shirts Chris and I screen printed together
© Philipp Lipiarski / www.goodlifecrew.at 
The candle house didn't fit on the table, so we had it as a deco 'for us'. Guess what, we FORGOT to blow it out after the first day (it was a two day market). We only remembered it way too late in the evening and agreed that nothing can happen as the candle is in a metal/ glass house, but still, I felt pretty bad! Although nothing would have happened, I was quite happy to find out the next morning that someone blew it out for us. Better be more careful about candles in the future!
© Philipp Lipiarski / www.goodlifecrew.at
I've been to design markets a few times in the past as a visitor, but Edelstoff was my very first design market that I've attended as a seller. I can tell you that the experience of a visitor vs. seller is SO hugely different. Sure, it makes total sense, but still, until I've tried it myself, I didn't quite know how it feels on the 'other' side.

It's an investment
As a regular visitor, I didn't even think about the fact that the sellers pay to be there. The organisers carefully curate the designer brands and select them after a round of applications, but the stall spot is paid. It's not just the stall fee you invest as the seller, it's also all the decorations (think every little - and large - box, display stand, light, logo banner, table cloth, etc.) and all the products that you need to buy in advance. It all adds up pretty quickly. 

For me, the tough part was estimating how much I'll need for the market and what to produce. Will I sell 10 greeting cards or 100? Should I order notebooks or gift wraps? All of that was so hard to guess, mainly for the first market. 

You need a buddy
Apart from the investment details, I never thought of the fact that it's not the best idea to sell alone. It is naturally possible, but not ideal. Any time you would need to go to the bathroom/ grab something to eat/ drink, you would need to ask someone to watch out for your stand and possibly lose customers as you were not there. Not so great.

Chris was ever so sweet and was there with me the WHOLE weekend, every single minute of it. It was an invaluable help. 

Time hustle
I also never really thought of the whole setup part before the event starts. I never imagined the sellers carrying in boxes, setting the stalls up, decorating the tables, making everything pretty, all morning before the visitors come in. 7:30 Saturday morning, HELLO! :) 

It however really wasn't so bad and both Chris and I were really surprised how fast the days flew by! We didn't have a single moment where we would look at the watch and think 'oh my, four more hours to go'. It was more like 'it's already four?'.

You don't get to see all exhibitors 
Neither Chris nor I actually had a chance to properly check out all the other stands. Whenever I left for a quick bathroom break, I wanted to be back asap so that Chris isn't there alone and vice versa. But we really liked the guys that had stalls next to us and the atmosphere in our corner was AMAZING. Laughs, smiles, totally having fingers crossed for others to sell well, we loved it! The whole market had a great vibe, but we could only fully experience our corner :D

To sum it all up, I am SO HAPPY we've been there. It was an amazing experience, we now know how it all works and are ready for the next one (which is in less than 2 weeks)! 

Next up: Feschmarkt in Graz on May 8 - 10. Yooohooohoooo! 

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing summary! I really wish I could see it with my own eyes because your photos are absolutely stunning. Such a sweet and tender atmosphere and great experience gained! I hope with all my heart that your next market goes even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Sandy :* I'm happy you liked the photos and the insights :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...