Sunday, 24 May 2015

Motivation & education guide + 1 month of Skillshare for grabs


Over the past couple of years, I've gathered a few essential motivators that I'd like to share with you today. I believe that having a set of a few motivators at hand really helps, mainly during those days when you're not feeling your best or seeing the results you would hope for.

For me, education = motivation (at least for education that I choose and care about!) and so I will share both my motivation and education go-to lists with you. 

To top it all up, I've got a small surprise for you, which I would have been ever so happy to get a few months back! (I actually did - I mentioned that in my post about a miracle here.)

My go-to motivation resources
  • Louise Hay's Morning Meditation - I can't tell you how many times this has totally brightened up the day for me, right from the start of it.
  • Dr. Wayne Dyer's talks like this one - I must have listened to this about 50 times already, not kidding you.  
  • The Secret book - over the past couple of years, I've read it a few times and like coming back to certain sections every so often. 
  • Marie Forleo's motivational videos that land in my inbox every Tuesday.  
  • Braid Creative blog full of advice for creatives who want to pay the bills with their passion.  
  • Being Boss podcast by Kathleen Shannon (from Braid Creative) and Emily Thompson who chat about tips and tricks for creatives entrepreneurs and interview people who have too made it (understand being their own boss :)
  • A good walk, possibly in the nature or at least peeking into gardens in our neighborhood and in the best case, calling my mum/ dear friend during it, is like a cherry on the cake.

Where I learn: my go-to education resources

Don't you just LOVE that moment when you finally figure out how to do something you've been wanting to do for a long time? I do! Here are my tricks to learning:
  • Research, a lot. Ask Youtube, Google, search through blogs, there will most probably be an answer to what you are looking to do. 
  • Simply DO stuff. I really wanted to learn how to illustrate digitally. At the beginning I had NO CLUE how. I first researched everything there was, for months and then I simply bought myself a graphic tablet without knowing how to use it and learned it by doing. Same with my DSLR camera. Same with Photoshop. Go and do what you want to learn. It will feel odd in the first days/ weeks, but in a couple of months, you'll be doing it like a pro.  
  • Follow your role models and observe what they do. I would recommend you to choose roughly 3 of your role models - that is, people that already do what you want to do - and read their blogs, articles, interviews, attend classes that they might hold and learn from them. This has been so inspirational to me and I've learned TONS from designers/ illustrators I admire.   
  • Find local conferences, meet ups and courses that relate to what you want to do. You'll quickly figure out which ones are working for you and which might not, but it's essential to meet and connect with people that do what you dream of doing or are at the same position as you. 
Small side note: I find that books are great, I have definitely bought MANY educational books over the past couple of years, but somehow, I end up loving online resources the most as they show you stuff rather than explain in words how to do it. Naturally, this depends on the topic you are learning. For me, online resources win.

Having said that, here is my last, but not least ! favorite education resource that I've been learning from like crazy in the past couple of months:

  • Skillshare - this is where I've learned Illustrator from scratch through Bonnie's Surface Pattern Design courses 1 (here) and 2 (here). There are PLENTY of courses on all topics you can think of (design, photography, business, DYI, etc.). 


If you've been wanting to take Bonnie's course too, or simply fancy learning anything else
you want, I've got a 

1 FREE MONTH OF



MEMBERSHIP FOR YOU, woohooooh!

You can give it a try and see if you want to stay :)
They offer a 14 day trial on their website, but as a member myself, I can share a 1 month trial with you (which I believe is much better for e.g. taking Bonnie's course).



Here are some of the courses I have taken and can only highly recommend:

& if you want to hear how I RUSHED to get into Skillshare just a couple of weeks ago, read this

Happy learning!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie, thanks so much for including my font course in your Skillshare section! I loved reading where you get your inspiration and motivation from. I've been lacking a lot of motivation and direction lately but I love your philosophy of "just show up, learn it, and improve".

    I'm giving away Skillshare annual premium memberships right now on my blog if you want to share with your readers.

    Thanks again, and I'm off to check out your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, thanks so much for the note, your giveaway is totally awesome! Just entered myself & shared it with my FB followers too.

      Thanks for doing such a great class by the way! Have a fab day!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...